Monday, October 8, 2007

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly-oct 8 homework

The memoir The Diving Bell and the Butterfly was a very interesting story. I thought it was really intriguing that this man who has “locked-in-syndrome” was able to compose a book by blinking an eye. Even though this story had many great qualities, it was hard to understand sometimes.
A reason why I liked this book was because Bauby used many loaded words to describe to the reader how he was truly feeling. He allows the reader to experience his pain and joys through all of his encounters in life. I also liked how we got to hear a lot about his past stories and how he use to live. For example when he went on the trip with Josephine, I liked hearing about where they had gone in Lourdes. Another thing I liked about this book was Bauby’s hope. Even though he would be “locked-in” forever he still had hope that someday he would be able to swallow food better or to speak.
Parts I didn’t like about this book were when his mind would go into butterfly mode, but I was still thinking his mind was at Berck. Whenever he was drifting into a moment from the past I wouldn’t realize it at first so I would have to go back and re-read a little. Also, sometimes when he was telling a story I wouldn’t understand what he was talking about at all like in the chapter “The Empress”. I had to re-read that part also to find out what he was describing.
Overall I did like this book, because I think Bauby describes his situation well so the reader can visualize it. For this book to become possible I know it must have taken a lot of patience but it was worth it because I’m sure a lot of people enjoyed it a lot like I did.

No comments: